Holy Cross Ballroom Dance : Holy Cross Ballroom Competition : Rules & Guidelines : Holy Cross Ballroom Dance
Competition Rules & Guidelines
- Levels & Restrictions
- Newcomer Category
- In order to dance in newcomer category both members of a couple must have started
dancing no earlier than August 2012.
- Newcomer couples are restricted to Pre-Bronze syllabus for International style
and Bronze syllabus for American style. Newcomer couples dancing American style
are encouraged to dance basic patterns and dance them well!
- Which level can I dance?
- All couples dancing in syllabus events (Bronze, Silver or Gold) must dance at their
level as determined by YCN/NECN point systems.
- However, the Bronze category is limited to those couples who started dancing no
earlier than August 2011 (dancing is defined as lessons and/or competitions). This
applies per style.
- A competitor may only dance at one level in each style (styles are Standard, Smooth,
Rhythm, and Latin). Double registration is expressly NOT ALLOWED.
- A specific dance is not offered at your level. In this case you may dance up
one level for the specific dance.
- Example: A couple that dances Bronze American Rhythm but also wishes to dance Mambo
may compete in Silver Mambo because Mambo is not offered at the Bronze level.
- Gold couples are allowed to dance Open as well.
- A competitor may dance at two adjacent levels in two different styles.
A competitor may span a total of only two levels across all styles.
- A couple is allowed to dance Bronze Smooth and Standard but Silver Rhythm and
- A couple may NOT dance both Open Latin and Bronze Smooth.
- A competitor may dance at two adjacent levels in two different roles.
- A dancer may follow in Silver Smooth and lead in Bronze Rhythm.
- A dancer may NOT follow in Silver Smooth and lead in Bronze
Smooth. (This would be double registering which is NOT ALLOWED.)
- Partners at different levels dancing together must dance at the level of the more
- Dancing down a level is expressly NOT ALLOWED.
- If you have questions about the levels at which you may dance, please contact the
- Eligibility enforcement
- If competitors have concerns about the level at which another dancer or couple
is registered to compete please email the Co-Chairs
at Chair@HCBallroom.com. We welcome all
feedback from competitors and will research all issues brought to our attention.
- The syllabus for International style will be the ISTD syllabus
- The syllabi recognized for American style events will be any major recognized syllabi
including: NDCA, USISTD, DVIDA, FADS and AM
- No continuity or open footwork is allowed in Newcomer and Bronze events.
- The Club Section
- The "Club" section will be run like rounds in the normal International and American
Events not like a true fun dance. Other “fun dances” will still be offered if our
- For the Club category: If you are registered in Newcomer or Bronze (for American/International
Events) you may dance 'Beginner' and if you are registered in Silver or above (for
American/International Events) you must dance 'Advanced'. If you span two levels
over styles (example: Bronze Latin but Silver Smooth) you must register using the
higher level in the Club division (this couple would dance Advanced in the Club
- No Open choreography is allowed at either level for the Club Section.
- Costumes are permitted within all levels at the Holy Cross Ballroom Dance Competition.
- Competitors should dress tastefully and appropriately for the events in which they
are competing. Judges may invigilate couples for inappropriate attire.
- All leaders must be dressed in leader appropriate clothing for all events. This
includes pants for all events. No exceptions for female leaders! The same applies
for all followers - they must all be dressed in follower appropriate clothing (no
pants). This rule will be strictly enforced!
- Shoes: It is mandatory that all competitors wear appropriate dance shoes on the
dance floor. Ladies must wear heel caps, which will be available for purchase at
- Housing is available the Friday night before the competition on a first come, first
serve basis. Teams anticipating a need for housing should email the
Co-Chairs at Chair@HCBallroom.com
no later than Sunday, February 9, 2013 with a list of team members requiring housing.
- Housing will not be available on campus Sunday night.
- Teams planning to stay on campus Saturday night should plan on arriving no later
than 9:00 PM.
- The committee of judges will be responsible for decisions made regarding problems
of marking, ties and adjudication. Judges will also invigilate competitors if anything
comes to their attention.
- As in prior years the Holy Cross Ballroom Dance Team will be offering vendors and
local business the opportunity to advertise in our events program. Vendors may also
inquire about having a booth at the competition. Questions and requests should be
directed to the Competition
Cooridanator at CompetitionCoordinator@HCBallroom.com.
- The organizers have the right to eject anyone from the premises for unruly conduct
or for violation of any of the rules or guidelines. Flagrant disregard of any of
the rules or regulations will result in a mark down of placement or in a disqualification
- There are several options available for food both on campus and off including a
coffee shop and cafeteria in the same building as the competition. There are also
several options for available off-campus for food. Food may not be delivered to
the ballroom from off-campus businesses during the competition. Competitors may
bring their own food to the competition.
- The College of the Holy Cross and the Holy Cross Ballroom Dance Team are not liable
for any property lost or damaged and injury or other misfortune that occurs during
- Videos & Photography
- Video and photography is expressly permitted. We remind all competitors and others
to please be aware of copyright laws and to please be considerate when using photographs
taken by professional or semi-professional photographers at our competition.
As always, if there are any questions regarding any of the rules or other aspects
of our competition, please e-mail